Came across this sight while checking ponds last week. Not the prettiest of views and nearly every falconry blog has a post similar to this, but it is important to show the dangers of powerlines. Every year a number of falconry birds meet their end by touching uninsulated electrical wires. And being that there is a very small number of falconry raptors in the United States, one could only guess how many wild hawks meet their end this way across this country and around the world.
I've seen several raptors get killed in this way. Sometimes it's a quick zap and they fall and other times the are locked to the wire as the current literally cooks them from the inside out. Unfortunately for this guy it looks like he got the later. On closer inspection you could see charred tissue on back side of his legs. Unfortunate reality for the hawks that use power poles to make their lives easier.
Here is a link to some more raptor electrocution info: