Friday, July 10, 2009

No News & Moving On

After all the tests, still nothing was conclusive as to why the Cooper's Hawk died. I guess it wasn't meant to be this year. I did go back to the nest and saw that the other 5 birds did fledge, so I highly doubt it was genetic. Mistakes happen and you learn from them, but in this case I don't know of any mistakes made and therefore no good came from it, which makes it all the more disappointing. So we move on.

Both falcons are moulting slowly this summer, but I'll probably pull the Hybrid the last week of July and bring him inside, out of the heat, and get him flying by mid August. I usually wait till mid September to start, but I only flew this bird for a few weeks at the end of last year so an early start should be beneficial to us both. I'll probably hold off on the Gyrkin until he is fully molted.

Nothing too exciting, except that my apprentice has gotten his permits and we are counting down to the opening of the trapping season.

No comments: