Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Surprised

On the way to work I glassed a two Ringnecks on a small pond.  The hybrid took a huge pitch over them and as he was pumping away from the pond, I flushed.  The two Ringnecks flushed in a typical Ringneck fashion, straight and away, and I looked up to see the falcon stooping over heard.  Only I didn't see a falcon. I had only enough time to think "where in the hell is he" when I heard a powerful *thwack* behind me.  I turn around to see a drake Mallard bounce off the ground not 30 feet away, promptly followed by the falcon's wingover that finished the deal.  The only thing I can figure is that the Mallard was in the neck of the pond to my left in the cattails and I just never saw him flush.  One of the coolest flights I didn't get to see, but it sure sounded great!


-RVZ

No comments: