Monday, July 16, 2012

Falcons in a Box


It's that time of year.  105 degrees out and not so much as a little bit interested in training falcons.  But the time is here and so is my new bird.....

I decided to start anew this year and picked up a female GyrxPeregrine the other day (the black one in the picture above, the other is a Gyr that I imprinted this year for a buddy).  I've never hunted with a female hybrid, although, I have trained a few to the kite before they were sold.  I really don't pay much attention to size in falcons, they all seem to be able to get the job done with the right set up in life and good training, but this bird is an absolute monster to me.  I've never had a bird this big, aside from eagles.  Even the biggest Red-tail I've ever flown was an ounce lighter than this bird at it's heaviest weight.  This girl weighed in a 1413g (49.8oz) out of the chamber!  I'll be honest though, a lot of that was food in her crop and she has slimmed down a fit and trim 1250g (44oz) today.  If this one doesn't fly high then the ducks are gonna be glued to the surface of the water.


-RVZ

8 comments:

Stephen Olner said...

Like the transport box, can you post more pictures of it ???

Zane said...

Ryan where do you get your hoods?

Ryan said...

I get hoods from all over. These in particular are from Abu Dhabi.

Zane said...

Is there a website or adress you could tell me?

Zane said...

I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is zane and I am almost 12 years old. And I would like to become a falconer.

Ryan said...

Zane, At 12 you should try and learn how to make your own hoods. There are lots of falconry books out there that have patterns and directions on how to make them. Try westernsporting.com to get some books or the library

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zane said...

Hey ryan thak you for the advice I will look for some books