Monday, June 28, 2010

First Day at Hack


Little Rainbow has found her wings in the past few days, so today we began her tame hack.  I put her and her nest up in a tree outside of work first thing this morning and she promptly branched her way up into the upper part of the tree.  The plan is to put her out in the mornings upon arriving at work and call her down towards the end of the day to take her home for the night.  I have been feeding her a couple of bites in the mornings and then a full crop around 5pm each day to try and set a schedule of how things will go for the coming weeks.   I had to cut down the unlimited food supply because she was starting to show extreme fear of me, my glove in particular, when food was presented.  I'm attributing this "wildness" to the fact that she was raised with a sibling for the first couple of weeks taking away from the imprinting process. 




By spreading out the feeding times that fear disappeared and she is back to her friendly trusting self.  Her weight has been consistently in the 440-460 gram range each morning and I don't plan on really dropping her weight until other problems begin showing up or we get closer to her penning.  Today also marked the first day that she has really made any noise at all aside from her baby "peeps."  Not anywhere near a scream though, more of a soft "kewww."  

Her third black band is just showing through today and she is 33 days old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is really cool. I am glad that everything is going along so well.