Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!!!!


Hope everyone got to spend a lot of quality time with their families, and stuffed themselves to the point of not feeling well! If ya didn't......you missed the whole point of the holiday :)!!!! Last year was my first Thanksgiving as a falconer, and we had a great session. We flew for the first time at the Lowe's field, and we caught a rabbit pretty quickly. I decided that this had to become a yearly tradition, so after stuffing my face this afternoon, I headed out for a quick hawkin session. I only got the kitchen pass for an hour (because after that, it was time for pumpkin pie!!!!!!), so I jumped over to Rosa East, and tried to slip in a quickie. Anyways, I havn't hawked this portion of the field before (and it's actually accross the road, so it's technically a new field....I have ran the dog through it, but that's all....), but since I can pretty much pull my car right into it (and time was of the essence), I decided to give it a go. Cleveland Jr was spot on at 915 grams, and he powered right up to a high pole, to kick start the hunt. The edge of this field is bordered by a ton of head high Johnson grass, but once you pass through that, there are a ton of briars, and a bunch of crap that people have dumped, to kick around in. Well, I made about fifteen or so steps through the Johnson grass, and CJ came hauling off of his perch STRAIGHT at me. He was coming in hot, and his angle was putting him on a direct course for my feet. About five yards infront of me, he suddenly checks off, and lands on the power line running directly above me. I take two steps, and then Cleveland drops off the pole in a perfect bullet shape, and slams the ground right in front of me. SQUEEL!!!!!!!!!!! Whoop, Whoop! Thanksgiving comes through again! New field, and a score quickly....just like last year!!! I think I'm going to like this tradition :). It got super cold last night, and it should be cold again tonight, so I fed him a little bit extra (fed to 1010 grams), so we will be at weight tom, for another afternoon session. This works out well, because Adam is in town for the holidays, and wanted to know if I could put some rabbits under his bird. I told him we would give it a shot, so we are going to have a session with his bird in the morning. Maybe the stars will align, and Shaung will be at weight after that, and we can get in a session with Jonathan as well. Fly CJ after that, and it will all add up to a full day of hawkin. Can't beat that with a stick, and I'm psyched for a good day.
Best Wishes everyone!
-D-

1 comment:

Doug said...

Sounds like a good Thanksgiving, and I love when those quick hunts come together like you hope.

Happy Thanksgiving